Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Map It (Week 1)

This simple map was found on a website called Outside In (http://outside-in.typepad.com/outside_in/2011/12/how-big-is-china.html). It is a map that juxtaposes the outlining border of the United States to that of China's. I find this map very intriguing as everyone seems to say that "China is so big." However, according to the map, China is actually not as big as everyone thinks. I love how this map elucidates this misconception.


I found this map on a website called The Survivalist (http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/interesting-maps-to-consider-when-choosing-a-retreat-location/). Using various colors, this map represents all the gang activity by location within the United States. I find this map interesting, as well as disturbing, to know that the majority of gang activity is predominately located in California. More specifically, the majority of gang activity takes place within Southern California in the Los Angeles region.

One map that I find very interesting was found on a website called FlowingData (http://flowingdata.com/2012/03/28/live-wind-map-shows-flow-patterns/). This map illustrates the speeds, flows, and directions of wind as it moves through the United States. I find this map appealing as it is able to illuminate wind, which is something invisible, in a manner that seems visible. Aesthetically, I like how the wind is depicted as flowing hair, a representation of wind I have never seen before.

No comments:

Post a Comment